Melodious87

Tell Me a Story

Temptation - Jude Deveraux The most frustrating book I've ever read. After I finally finished it I felt I completely wasted my time reading it. Story was completely dragged out to the point that I had trouble finishing it a few times. The ending I felt was completely rushed and made no sense and was just completely unrealistic and out of character, from James' side at least. The ending was the biggest problem I had with this book. It categorizes under 'WTF just happened?!' ending. I felt totally whiplashed and fuming after reading the final chapter. The ending was so disjointed from the rest of the book I felt like I was reading a section from another book rather then the conclusion to this. Not only that but the build up for these two to finally be together was torturously slow, like pulling teeth.

I felt the author spent more time dragging the story out throwing in stupid unnecessary plot point after plot point to keep them apart only to have them come together in a two second sloppy rushed scene at the very end where everything is magically forgiven with a surprise that Temperance felt she didn't need to tell or share with James. The 'surprise' and reaction to it was what was most unbelievable to me and very aggravating. I couldn't relate with Temperance and her over-bearing ways and some of her actions and decisions I just felt where unfounded, blown out of proportion, and at times unreasonable. This was one book where I ended up absolutely hating the heroine. It was really hard to even like her at times with her snappy remarks, snooty attitude then rushing off believing she deserved better at the very end was just unbelievable to me. I found myself sympathizing with the hero more and feeling sorry for him. Hiding a big secrete like that at the end from him and being so nonchalant about it made me absolutely hate Temprence at the end of the book. And this lovely awkward 'reunion' at the end happens 2 YEARS LATER after the initial story takes place. The fact that this woman didn't even bother to tell him for 2 fucking YEARS about the secrete she kept she ends up pregnant and has his child and doesn't bother to tell him was utterly ridiculous and unreedmable in my eyes. What I found galling is that he's the one who gathers up the courage to visit her while she's living life content with her 'no bother' indifferent attitude made me want to physically reach into the book and slap her. The most self-centered self-serving haughty brittle arrogant heroine I've ever read about and was completely unredeemable or likable. She fell under the category of 'selfish-bitch' with the stunt she pulled. I have no sympathy for women who do what she did unless the reasons behind it are justified, and here it clearly wasn't. The author didn't even bother to give reasons to WHY the heroine did what she did which confounded me more. Instead I got a sloppy rushed ending that was so unrealistic and unbelievable I was almost tempted to hurl the book out my window. It was just complete lazy writing IMO and turned me off completely. Don't just give me sub-par dialogue and expect me to read between the lines, give me explanations or POV's to actually back up characters' actions. Ugh.

If I had known it would end like that I honestly would have never read this.